Saturday, February 27, 2010

18 Month Exam

Friday was Maia's 18-month well child exam. Looking for stats, aren't you? Well. She's still tiny.
21.14 lbs: 15%
32" tall: 56% (I knew she was getting long!)
18.75 head circumference: 77% (I think she's finally starting to grow into her head!)
That said, her pediatrician has absolutely zero worries. She has been staying "between the red and green lines" on the growth chart, and staying on the same path since nine months of age. I also had to complete two surveys about her growth and development... the first specific to her age, the second was an autism screening. Some of my favorite questions:
  • Does your child speak at least 6 words? a second? yes!
  • Does your child want to help around the house? I keen it?
  • Can your child point to at least 1 body part? I'd say about 20.
  • Does your child show interest in a doll or stuffed animal by hugging it or pretend feeding it? In addition to routinely hugging and kissing her toys, she actually played "This little piggy" with one of her dolls today, excitedly tickling the baby's tummy at the end. Tried to get it on video, but no luck.
  • Does your child know the names of his favorite books? Hopopop!! (Hop On Pop) Ham-Sam? (Green Eggs and Ham)
  • Is your child spontaneously affectionate? My favorite... when she's said, or has just fallen or bumped her head, she will walk over to us and ask "Hug?" with her little lip sticking out.

And from the Autism screening...

  • Does your child enjoy being swung, bounced on your knee, etc.? jump, jump, jump!
  • Does your child ever bring objects over to you to show you something? Every book we own!
  • Does your child look at your face to check your reaction when faced with something unfamiliar? Ah, well, see below.

At the exam, the nurse had left and Maia was happily running around the room in just her diaper (yippee!!) and pointing at the animals on the wall, talking up a storm. As soon as the doc walked into the office, Maia stopped playing and talking, frowned at her, ran over to me and climbed up into my lab to give me a huge hug around the neck. Well, says the doc, I guess she's passed her autism screening with flying colors! Maia has her face pressed up against mine until I turn her around and encourage her to say "hi" to Dr O. The doc and I discuss her stats, and soon Maia has warmed up and is talking to her, reaching for the stethoscope. She always does so well during her exams. Sits pretty still, and was great about saying "Ahh."

Dr O. and I talk a little about what to expect over the next few months with potty training, eating habits and behaviors. She advises me that "no" will probably make a pretty strong showing around 24 months, indicating she will go through a phase of saying "no" to pretty much everything, even if she wants it. Ah yes, we're actually seeing this now. A LOT. We talk about her sensitive skin (diaper rashes are too common, and have been since she's been on solid foods. They are, however, mostly avoidable if we keep a good diaper cream on her all the time - which often isn't necessary for other kids her age). The doctor comments on Maia being quite a character as of course, now that she was comfortable, she started talking non-stop and was "reading" one of her books by herself by narrating what the baby in the picture was doing "dink mii-oook" (drink milk).

So back at 24 months. Whew! Boy, is time flying. I do tell the doc that I'm sure we'll be seeing her in June for our newborn checks. Then today I was reading a little pregnancy status update which advised me only 2 more weeks and I'll be in my third trimester. Holy cow!! I don't even have my work-plan figured out yet (details on covering my leave, how to arrange my time when I return: I've got plans A, B and C but haven't presented them to HR yet - although my boss is supportive, my plan may ultimately need to go to the CEO. Sigh.)

I did start to put together baby registries, mostly so we can get the Babies R Us 20% discount on everything off the registry after the baby's due date to stock up on basic supplies. We really can't think of much we need (although there is a lack of baby boy clothes in the house, should we need them - but onesies and baby-legs should get us through most of the summer, really.)

No comments:

Post a Comment