Thursday, March 18, 2010

The Third Trimester is looming

So here we are at 27.5 weeks. I had an OB appointment yesterday, and, due to a jam-packed schedule for the evening, we had to figure out a way to get me to my 4:00 appointment downtown, (and my OB, bless him, usually runs late - particularly by the end of the day), get dinner, pick up Maia before 6:00 by our house, and get me back downtown for GRSC rehearsal by 6:30pm.
I decided to pick up Maia from daycare on my way to my OB appointment, the three of us could then attend the appointment, get some dinner, and then Ray and Maia could head home while I went to rehearsal.
Maia has not been to any of my doctor's appointments since my post-partum check up for her. I think she was about 8 weeks old. Fortunately, she does not have a white-coat phobia... her pediatricians don't wear white coats, and she never seems to mind going there. She just looks around, talks and names everything she sees everywhere she goes, so it's just another place to explore.
When we got off the highway, Ray and I were in our cars in adjacent lanes, and since it was a beautiful, 65ยบ day outside (Yay! Spring!), I could roll down the window so Maia and Ray could waive to each other. Maia was delighted, and put her hands toward Ray saying "I reachin'! I reachin' Dada!" (over and over and over and over...) She will also start breathing really rapidly and say "I cited!" (excited). Her excitement, fascination and non-stop talking didn't really stop for long when we got to the office, as she named the items in the waiting room: Tree, Chair... (what color is the chair?) Balooooooo. She was fascinated with the blood pressure cuff, but seemed a little concerned when Mama was sitting on the table with the paper. The nurse was nice enough to let her check it out while we waited for the doc. Maia wanted to explore everything... but the second Dr L walked in - she decided to play a little shy, and I don't think she totally warmed up to him until he offered her a sticker at the end of the appointment.
So. Here's where we are:
I passed my GTT (glucose tolerance test) with flying colors (yay!), all my labs are looking good. I'm measuring right at 27 - so right on target. Doc is very pleased with my weight gain (up 2 lbs in the last month), and thinks that I'm pretty much right on track for ending up at the same weight I ended at with Maia... baring any sprained ankles that keep me from moving for a while! Last time with Maia, I ended up putting on 10 lbs in the last month due to edema - somewhat related to the trouble I was having keeping the swelling down with the ankle. So (fingers crossed) that hopefully won't be the same this time!
My BP was great... 100/60, baby's heartbeat (sleeping) was in the 140s. Maia was intrigued by the sound of the doppler, and had her little eyebrows furrowed while she listened.
Outside of that... We're doing well. No unexpected issues (just the on-going low back pain I expect (probably time for a massage soon), and one single leg cramp of relatively short duration. I'll have to increase my banana intake (ooo, maybe some banana bread...) We've contacted our Lamaze instructor to see if we can take a refresher course. She does offer a 3 or 4 session class, so that's next on the docket.

No comments:

Post a Comment