Wednesday, December 2, 2009

The Grandmas and the Grandpas

Maia's daycare is attached to a retirement community (nursing home, assisted living, and independent senior living), and the kids go to visit the residents of the community, who the staff refer to as "The Grandmas and the Grandpas." This is such a unique feature of her daycare, and I really feel strongly that the interaction is of benefit to both the kids and the seniors. Particularly that it is done often: several times a week. Each day when I pick Maia up, I get a "Daily Sheet" telling me about her day: food, nap, diaper changes, activities, etc. This one in particular I had to save. The details under the "Today I..." section: ... went to resident activity and read stories and sang songs to the grandmas and the grandpas. We also brought bubbles to play with! When we were leaving, one of the Grandmas said "Maia is my favorite because she is full of energy and I love watching her." We went to the circle drive before lunch and ran around and played a couple games in the grass. Maia looked at books on her own today and played with the farms and animals with her friends! Can I tell you how much I love this? Especially when paired with this quote from today's daily sheet: ... went to resident activity and we read books and played with bubbles with the Grandmas. Maia also gave hugs to the Grandmas before we left..." What a honey! I love how open and accepting she is (although that may come back to bite me later, and I worry about her future safety, because I'm a mom and that's my job). And I love that she enjoys being with older adults. And, really... she gets a good mix! Most of her daycare teachers are in the 20s and 30s. Ray and I are... well, not young parents. Then she has her own Nanas and Papas. And then her more senior "Grandmas and Grandpas." Look at all those generations. I guess I just feel really fortunate that she is getting these experiences.

No comments:

Post a Comment