Friday, June 25, 2010

Support

The week I found out I was going to have a c-section, I got online to get some support from other mothers I knew who'd had them, too. I knew the risks, having spent so much of the last 2 1/2 years educating myself on various aspects of childbirth: the good, the bad and everything in between. Taking Lamaze classes... twice. Having read books about natural child birth. Reading the National Institute of Health's press releases after a VBAC symposium. Reading lots and lots of biased and unbiased medical journal articles. What I didn't really know was what it was going to be like for me to experience a c-section, and what it would be like to recover from one. I was so blessed to have people commiserate with me, support me, encourage me, and understand my need to grieve. I was, however, especially touched by this email I received from a mother who had a toddler and a newborn, both similar in ages to my kids. I thought of parts of this often while I was going through the surgery and after, and I read it several times.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
This second c-section was a much easier recovery then the first, yet, I also felt the first recovery was great! Here are some things that I have found to be super helpful after two times going through this. - get up to walk as early as possible. I feel SO much better after I walk a little bit. At first, just standing and walking to a chair, or around the hospital room, then work your way up to back and forth up the unit with your little one. That was so great for me, using him/his bassinet as my support as I walked down the hospital hallways. I also loved how the nurses kinda cheered me on, made it feel like a game that I was winning! - don't skip pain med times! I found that this was a big mistake. I am now at day six and I am just taking IB profin, so you WILL NOT take the strong stuff for all too long, but when you need it, you need it! I asked the nurses to wake me to take the medication at night no matter how peaceful I looked sleeping haha. I would regret it if they let me sleep through! - be sure to have gas-x at home!! I took colace and gas x and OH BOY did it help. I think that the gas pain is worse then the actual incision! and luckily, that is super easy to fix! - next to my side of the bed I set up a baby hub. I have pee-pee pads (so that I can change the babe with out getting out of bed, and they cannot get my sheets all full of pee! lol). I have diapers, wipes, breast pads, lanolin, extra water bottles there, books, remote, laptop, journal, chap-stick/vaseline, garbage bag, phone and charger. - ALSO, have some games, books, toys, movies for your other little one near you do you if you need them they are right there - have extra pillow on your side cause getting from a laying down position to sitting up is HARD and PAINFUL! make that transition as easy on yourself as possible, if you can get a nice large pillow for you back for the day so that when you are feeding or just resting you don't have to be super reclined, and again, be sure to get out of bed as often as you can to take little walks to help yourself feel better. - I seriously hated laying down for too long cause all my muscles got so tight and then it hurt to walk, but once I started walking around, my muscles loosened up again and I felt 2000 times better!! - when you start your c-section and they are doing the spinal, use all those relaxation techniques you studied so well for your natural birth. Find a place with in yourself, be there, in that moment with you and your new baby. Know that you two are connected, that this is his path to you, and focus on your breathing and being relaxed.... Its a weird/scary time, but its also a very special time, you will not be able to feel your lower half, but it is still YOUR lower half and you are STILL connected both spiritually and physically to it! - Email me if you have any questions AT ALL when you are relaxing in your bed! Know that it will be a short recovery, you will be up and about soon! Take advantage of this time to bond with your new baby! You and your little one have a special opportunity to get to know each other!! - Be proud of yourself! you are traveling a path you didn't want to and didn't plan on, out of love for your child, and that is such an AMAZING thing to do! - :P take what works for you, and flush the rest! lol I hope that some of this info helps you, sorry if it was long winded!! again, I am totally here for you, so whatever you need let me know! ♥ Good work momma!!
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Tell me that's not amazing, from someone I've never met, and only talked to online for a few months?

No comments:

Post a Comment