Sunday, January 3, 2010

Independent Girl

How time flies! Our girl is growing so quickly. She imitates so many things and loves to try new words. She is improving with stringing together two or three words. She's got a mouth full of teeth and is growing out of 12 month clothes (especially in pant length) and into size 4 shoes.

Like these "pah-key shooo!" (sparkly shoes) she needed to try on with her jammies.

The next milestones we are considering for Maia are transitioning to a convertable car seat (rather overdue, although I think we will continue to leave her rear facing for a while yet) - which I hope to buy this weekend. Also for this winter/spring perhaps a toddler bed, and potty training. Earlier this week, I finally decided on a potty that didn't seem too much like a toy, however, Maia still decided it would be fun to put her sippy cup in it and push it around. Last evening, as Ray prepped Maia for her bath, she was playing with her potty and managed to pee on the floor (whoops!). This evening, however, just before bed, I brought Maia to the bathroom, took of her pants and diaper to sit her on the potty for a few minutes while we got ready for bed. She stood up in about 10 seconds. As I was telling her to sit down, I looked and she had, in fact, peed in her potty! I was just stunned! I imagine she may have the idea of what needs to happen because of the other kids who are probaby going through potty training at daycare. They have a (very short) toilet in the diaper changing area in the room. That said, however, she hasn't repeated the feat, and isn't all that interested in sitting on it. I suspect it's probably not really all that comfy for her. She has no shortage of personality, and she knows what she wants. And if you don't get it... she will tell you "NO!" or, less adamantly, "nah!" with lots of head shaking, until you figure out what it is she does want. Like when she asks "ah-seeng?" - I have to remember that means she wants me to sing, and then I have to go through a list of about 15 songs to see if I can figure out which song she's looking for. If I get it wrong, she'll tell me "no, no, no" until I stop singing and keep going through the list. If I don't stop, she starts to get mad. A little drama! But on some times, she'll tell me which song: "Baa baa bahshee?" (Baa, baa, black sheep) "Up-a-bah.." (up above, which means Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star), or "Teapah?" (I'm a Little Teapot). I can't wait until she can communicate more! I'm sure it will save us all some frustration, as she often knows what she is saying, but we can't understand it all. She has spoken a paragraph, and we didn't catch a word!

No comments:

Post a Comment