Thursday, January 28, 2010

Parent Teacher Conferences

How bizarre is it that we have parent/teacher conferences for such a little person? Although, this one didn't feel as weird going into it as the one we did when Maia was still an infant! I do check in with them on a routine basis about issues that we might need to work on, or funny stories they want to tell me (and I love hearing!) Still, it's nice to get a little one-on-one, uninterrupted time with her teacher to get an idea of what goes on with her every day.
And (wouldn't Ray be pleased) the conference started out with her teacher, Andrea saying: "She's so advanced!" A phrase that irks Ray (but I hope he's getting used to!). Our argument being: every child has strengths and weaknesses (no kid is good at everything), and so we try to look at her as an individual who needs to be challenged, praised, and encouraged based on her own arc of development. That said, it's hard not to notice how much more verbal she is than her peers, how well coordinated she is for her age, and her own little quirks that make her unique.
So we completed an "Ages & Stages Questionnaire" for the center at their request, and they filled one out too. This is the first time we've filled one out in a while... they were completed more often when she was an infant, and generally coincided within about a month or so of her age (i.e., completing the 9 month form when she was 8 months, etc.) In this instance, I was given the 22-month questionnaire when she had just turned 17 months. That's 5 months difference! I think the expectation is that they're above 45-50%. She scored in the 85th to 100th percentile for everything:
- 100% for communication
- 100% for gross motor
- 85% for fine motor
I agreed with the assessment that "sometimes" she puts a spoon in her mouth right-side up. They scored her as "sometimes" on an exercise neither they nor I could try with her: threading a shoelace through a large bead. I don't have such supplies, and neither did they. They gave her "sometimes" credit for being able to put the pieces back in a chunky wood puzzle instead.
- 92% for problem solving.
This one I actually scored her lower on because she wouldn't let me try this exercise with her. If she watches you draw a line from the top to the bottom of the paper, will she draw a single line in any direction without scribbling back and forth? She has done this with her teachers at school "sometimes" but not with me. She gets mad at me!
- 85% for personal/social
I'd argue this, they scored her "not yet" for "uses a fork". I gave her half credit "sometimes" She can, she just chooses not to! And she used to. Not sure why this is a personal/social issue, either. I scored her at 92%

On to her "Conference Record." These are the Teachers' notes basically about strengths and weaknesses.
Student Effort and Academic Progress
- Very Smart: catches on quickly to things, lots of words, very curious
- Interested in activities: art, sensory, group time
The comment here is that she LOVES art time, and waits anxiously for her turn to participate
- Follows directions: knows general routine
- Caring friend: interested in her friends, knows their names, gentle with them.
Student Behavior and Social Skills
- Continue using words with friends: gets frustrated/mad: work on deep breaths
- Follows what other friends do: work on if issue is addressed for one friend
(i.e. no screaming), it is same for her.


This evening at home, her letters were a little mixed up. She identified them anyway as an A, I, W and V.

She usually sees them like this.

"Daddy shoe... I walkeeen?" "I keen it?"

No comments:

Post a Comment