Friday, November 30, 2012

30 Days of Gratitude.

During the month of November, it's common, now, to see people posting 30 Days of Gratitude updates on their facebook pages.  Life always throws challenges our way, and some days seem darker than others. While I am in the midst of some darker days, I thought: What better way to shine some light into this darkness, than to thoughtfully and specifically name things for which I am thankful.   I hope I can keep up!

Day 1:  I am thankful to be a mom. My children challenge me to become a better human and forgive me a thousand times over for my daily slip ups.
Day 2: I am thankful for the ability to learn new things and apply my knowledge.
Day 3: I am thankful that my house is warm and sound, even if it might need a fresh coat of paint in a few places. Particularly as Sandy has claimed lives and left so many on the East Coast without a safe place to live, gas to drive there, food, clean water,heat, electricity.

My little people, though? They had other ideas about what made them thankful:
M: Knights, for saving us from dragons.
P: Pirates... they say Arrrrr!

Day 4: I am thankful for my parents and their unwavering love and support.
Day 5: I am thankful for my sister, who understands who I am on the deepest levels of Me; yet we still learn new stuff from and about each other all the time.
Day 6: I am thankful for the right to vote, and to live in a country where I have that right. I try to cast my votes thoughtfully with a mind toward what is best for not just me, but for all of us who share these communities, States and country.
Day 7: I am thankful that my kids have a daycare full of teachers who Know them and Care about them. Their teachers take such good care of these kids, little pieces of my heart.
Day 8: I am thankful for a cozy bed on which to curl up and sleep and put today behind me.
Day 9: I am thankful for humor and laughter. By this we can be recharged.
Day 10: I am thankful for days of long naps, extra cuddling and hearing my little dude laugh in his sleep instead of cry.
Day 11: I am thankful for social networks that share creative ideas. My kids are ecstatic about their "disco bath" in the dark with glow sticks.
Day 12: I thankful for excellent co-workers who are willing to cover me when I'm out with a sick kid... again!
Day 13: I am thankful for some special 1-on-1 time with Maia. She is such an incredible kid, and hearing her belly laugh while watching Brave (while we did laundry together) was fantastic.

Day 16: I am thankful to have opportunities to perform unique and fantastic works like Paulus' "To Be Certain of the Dawn" A work for healing and remembrance. 
" 'Why? Why did I survive?' The Rabbi said: 'God kept you on earth to write the story.' "

Day 18: I am thankful for this beautiful day, and my two knights who protect the back yard from bad guys.


Some days it is difficult to be thankful. Either because of how you feel, or what is going on around you, or because you fail to take time to breathe, and think, and Be.


Day 22: 
I am thankful for family and friends, for rough days that end,
My job, my home, for PW gnomes,
For general good health and adequate wealth, 
For kids I love to pieces and their tiny sneezes,
The good things I've got and trials I've not,
For country and pride and a short backyard slide,
For intelligent brains and small wooden trains,
For coffee and food and a pretty good mood. 
I am thankful for all of YOU.
And chocolate.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!
And the little people at my house? What are they most thankful for on this day of gratitude?
M: God
P: Ghostes.

Day 23: I'm thankful for days off!
Day 24: I'm thankful for stuffing for breakfast.
Day 26: I'm thankful for sunrises and sunsets.

Day 28: I am thankful that, outside of the inconvenience of a random virus, we enjoy pretty good health in this house.

I didn't quite make it to 30... but, perhaps I can say: I'm thankful that I can chose to do this any and every day... and hopeful that I can do it again next November!


No comments:

Post a Comment