Friday, February 18, 2011

Potty Training 2.0

2-3 accidents per day this week. At home, at school.  On Thursday we had a scheduled trip to the pediatrician for Parker's 2nd flu shot, and Maia's 30 month exam.  More on that in a moment.

Since we had the doctor's appointment, we didn't have to rush off to school/work first thing, and so Ray got to get to work a little earlier and didn't help Maia get dressed.  While I was dressing Maia, she was refusing to wear undies.  "No. Not today..." she told me. "No thank you. I wanna diaper."  Finally, I thought: Fine. I'm not interested in fighting her.  She knows everything she need to be successful at being potty trained, but she's not going to do it until she wants to.

So I let her wear a diaper to the pediatrician's and then to daycare.  I let them know she was choosing to wear a diaper, but that there were undies in her cubby if she changed her mind during the day. 

When I picked her up from daycare, she was in undies and the same pants I'd put on her in the morning. YAY! Here's the story I got from her teacher:
Shortly after Maia got there, the class was going to head out for a walk. That means potty tries before everyone before they go.  Maia's best bud, Ellie, is potty trained.  When it was Maia's turn for her potty try, the teachers asked if she wanted a clean diaper or undies.  She said diaper.  Ellie looked at Maia quizzically and asked "You're wearing diapers?"  Maia finished using the potty, asked for undies, and was dry the rest of the day...

AND all day today. YAY!

A little positive peer pressure apparently does wonders.  I joked with her teacher about her susceptibility to the peer pressure, and she said Oh, I wouldn't worry. She is usually the leader.  She and Ellie are good for each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment