Saturday, February 16, 2013

Ashes, ashes...

Picking up the kids from daycare on Ash Wednesday, Maia noticed the mother of one of her friends with a dark smudge of ash on her forehead.  "Why does Ella's mom have purple marker all over her forehead?" 

Oh honey! I chuckle, Today is something called Ash Wednesday. Some people think about the bad choices they make sometimes and how sorry they are for making those choices and how much they want to change and make good choices.  The go to church to get ashes on their forehead, just for today, to remind them to try not to make bad choices anymore. 

Oh. She ponders. "I make bad choices sometimes."
Yes, I tell her, everyone does.

Fast Forward, next morning, in the car.  I am just about to open my door to get her out at the daycare drop off when she animatedly tells me: "Mom. I don't want to make bad choices today so I'm going to put some purple marker on my head too!"

I'm not sure that was such a good choice either... but I appreciate the sentiment! Now where are the wipes?
She did not appreciate my exasperated chuckle and the need to take a photo.

No comments:

Post a Comment