Monday, January 17, 2011

Shoveling the Yard

We've had about a week of every-day snow. Mostly lake effect with big fat flakes, but some from passing storms. Saturday morning, more of the fluffy snow came down for a few hours, leaving a few inches on the driveway that Ray thought he ought to take care of before it got too deep.  I suggested that a small person might be thrilled to assist him, and has her own shovel.

So she got on all her gear.  She blows me away with her independence sometimes. She's able to put on her snow pants and zip them all by herself, as well as her boots (correct feet optional) and hat.  She has a great trick for putting on her coat, but still needs help zipping up and fastening the velcro.  She can also put on her mittens.  I just have to say, I remember struggling with those things in first grade.  Of course, in first grade, I had this red jacket with a white "fur" edged hood (it may have been a hand-me-down), which had the worst zipper ever.  It routinely split or got stuck in a misaligned position. I remember asking my teacher (Miss Walters) to help me in and out of that stupid coat so many times...

But I digress.  So. Maia is bundled in weather-appropriate clothing and Ray sports his sweatshirt, wind pants, goggles (to keep the snow out) and work gloves. Together they head outside.  Ray situates Maia out of harm's way, in the yard, with her shovel.

She proceeds to shovel the yard...
 ... and has a great time doing it!

She made trails all over the yard.



And when she was done, she came inside to have some "Hawt Chawk-oh-lit to warm me up! Jus' like the Backyardigans, right momma?"

No comments:

Post a Comment