Sunday, November 22, 2009

Moon

We had a fairly busy weekend. On Friday, after Maia's doctor's appointment, we were supposed to have lunch with an old friend of mine and her three-year-old. However, something came up for my friend(sick kid), and we had to reschedule. So with a free-ish afternoon ahead of us, and a bit of time before lunch, I thought I'd bring her by work. I don't think I've had her there since she was probably 9 months old.
She met lots of people, and based on what toys or books or pictures (computer wallpaper and screen savers) people had available, she babbled on quite a bit about doggies (dah-dee!!) and apples (appp-oooh) and babies (beee-bee!!). And people commented on how tiny she was (a co-worker has an adorable red-headed girl who is 4 months younger and weighs significantly more), how much she talks, and generally had fun with how much (and how well) she repeats what you ask her to say.
After that, Maia and I headed to the Schnitz for lunch (BIG JOHN!). I was planning on taking it to go, as we were on the downhill slope toward nap-time. As I pulled into my parking spot, I looked at the car next to me, and realized that there was another of my co-workers sitting in the car next to me. So the three of us ended up having lunch together, and taking a brief walk around the block when Maia had enough of sitting in her high chair.
Most of the rest of the day was fairly quiet... not long enough of a nap (20 minutes for a 15 month old does NOT cut it, and she repeated this feat each day this weekend, give or take 5 minutes). Saturday began with us all being up by 6:30, and deciding to head to the grocery store as a family to stock up for the week ahead. It was MUCH easier with Ray helping to keep Maia entertained while I filled the cart. She made it about 3/4 of the way through the shopping trip before she was done and needed to walk (wok!).
We returned home at 8 am, and Maia and I need to hurry to get to the Y by 8:30-8:45 to be in the pool for our 9 am class! Maia was still a little out-of-sorts, having had her immunizations and her H1N1 injection yesterday. There are some things she's great at (laying back in the water, kicking) and some things she's still not terribly interested (jumping in from the edge of the pool, using her arms to reach and scoop), and some things she wasn't particularly sure about, but managed to do very well and be very brave about (getting her face wet - usually it worked best if we bounced up and down and bounced a little lower each time until we were up to our chin, nose, forehead).
Then lots of errand running for me while Maia spent the afternoon with daddy. Had Fred's Pizza for dinner (which is, I've learned, a great way to get Maia to eat some vegetables she won't eat otherwise: onions and peppers).
This afternoon, however, it was another beautiful day (as was Saturday), rather more like September, than late November. So at long last, I decided I needed to get the last of the garden cleaned up for the winter (still haven't gotten around to planting bulbs). I took Maia outside with me, and let her run around while I pulled up what could probably be better described as early compost than day lily leaves (and swore I saw little green shoots underneath). As Maia took in her surroundings, she looked up into the early evening sky and shouted "Moooooon!"
And sure enough, a small crescent hung in the sky above the neighbor's tree. We looked at it together for a while, and then I went back to work, listening to her yell loudly, and repeatedly: "Moooon! Moooo! Mooooo-en! Mooooon!" The neighbors were mildly amused. I finished my work (it was starting to get dark and dinner time). And when we sat down for dinner, Maia looked out the window and started again: "Moon! Mooooo-en! Mooooon!
I got her ready for her bath (and got peed on, which really hadn't happened to me for a very long time! Not that I missed it...) and she pointed toward the sun-porch... "Mooon! Moo Moo Mooon!"
Ray got her in her pajamas and sat down in the rocking chair for her bedtime books. "Mooon!" I can hear her shout. "Moooooooooooooon!"

No comments:

Post a Comment