Saturday, August 15, 2009

Happy First Birthday, Maia!!

Maia's first birthday was on a Friday. I was torn: send her to daycare to keep her on schedule while I get the house ready for her party (and reduce the chances of a meltdown), or spend the day playing with her, telling her how much I love her, and reminiscing about what was happening at this time last year? Her party was planned to start at 5 pm. However, a few days before the party, (Aunt) Tara and Ray were talking about the party, which Tara was thinking was scheduled for Saturday afternoon. Ray corrected her: No, it's her birthday, Friday the 14th. As it turns out, Tara was planning on showing up on Saturday morning to surprise us. She really really really wanted to be here for Maia's first birthday So, a few phone calls and an email or two later... it was arranged. We moved the party to Saturday afternoon the 15th. Same time, same place. So as a result, Maia and I ran errands for part of the day, played a bunch, and spent a quiet evening at home. After dinner, Maia opened her gifts. ... or, well, I did: I cannot believe how quickly this year has gone! Throughout the day, I gave Maia little updates on what we were doing a year ago... Well Maia, at this time last year, you were born! ...you were getting your first bath! (something there are, unfortunately, no pictures of. I was recovering, and Ray and Kathleen had gone to get something to eat.) ... we were going up to our room. You were in my arms, and I was looking down at you thinking: I thought for sure I would know what your name was when I met you... but I don't! What a difference a year makes!

No comments:

Post a Comment