Monday, November 17, 2008

First week at daycare, and alas! The first cold!

No pics today. The power supply for the laptop died, so I am posting from my Treo. Maia and I each survived my first full week back to work, and Maia's first week at daycare. They said she did great. Pretty much no crying for at least the first few days. They say she's very good natured (which I thought too!) I was fortunate enough to be able to go see and feed her on two lunch breaks. That was really nice for me... helped break up the day into more managable segments of time away from her. She has had to adjust to a lot more activity around her (she is the youngest by several months, all the other babies are mobile). They can't allow the kids to sleep in the swings or bouncers, and she commonly wakes when you move her to her crib. As such, I think she'd sleep a lot later in the morning if we let her. Her first few evenings after daycare left her very sleepy. But we've got a good schedule now that allows me to feed her twice, pump once and get us both ready for the day and out the door in just under two hours in the morning. And I've learned what to ask the daycare staff for in terms of her feeding schedule, so I can do as much of it myself as possible. Now that I spend so little time with her, those feeding times become even sweeter and more precious than they were before. Despite the added benefit of nursing, however, she still managed to contract her first cold. We had to debate sending her to daycare on Friday, she was so stuffy. But, no fever, no yellow or green nasal discharge... So we sent her. And despite not being able to breathe clearly, she has been in a good mood, although with slightly less energy. Oh well. All the more reason to stay at home and cuddle her. Neither Ray nor I even got out of our pajamas yesterday. Of course, we both (especially Ray, who had to work an overnight shift) were pretty sleep deprived. As for Maia's development, she has been continuing to get better at sucking her thumb, and has less need for her paci. She is pushing herself up with her arms while on tummy time. While on her back, she is lifting her legs straight up in the air and rolling to her side. Daycare staff have remarked at how strong she is (which we knew, she was so good at holding her head up from the day she was born), they put her in a Bumbo chair and she did pretty well. When she slumped over, she was able to sit herself back straight up. Good ab workout!

No comments:

Post a Comment